Friday 26 April 2013

It's the Little Things

It's the little details that make Romania so enchanting, the little differences from home.
In so many ways its like going back to childhood, maybe that's one of the reasons I feel so happy and at peace here. It can seem, at times, like a 1980's-Life-in-England theme park. Even down to the muzak, I browsed a department store today singing along out loud to Suzanne Vega's "Luca", God I loved that song circa 1987!

Maybe the most off the wall piece of nostalgia so far..underground public loos, ours at home long ago locked ( and even in some cases, I believe, converted to dwellings) to put a stop to who knows what manner crime and depravity. I have been trying to bring to mind my experiences of such amenities but my memory is hazy, I think they are connected with visits to the seaside and our annual Christmas Shopping trip into "The Toon" (Newcastle if any explanation is needed!). But the memory it brings back with intense clarity is the smell, just the sight of the iron railings guarding the entrance and the WC sign produces a reaction at the back of my throat at the complete recall of the smell of stagnant piss and valiant efforts to mask it with what must have been industrial strength and quantities of bleach.
I haven't decided yet whether to pop down there and see if they smell the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment